Monday, June 13, 2011

Scenery in the chalk

Despite being high prairie and very dry, Western Kansas has had a pretty good couple of years with regards to rain (as of 2011). A LOT of the chalk has been reclaimed (covered up) and I took some pictures of some of the new "wetlands" in the bottom of this one particular valley.


 About 60' directly above the creek that cut through the chalk formations.




The water was actually running at a pretty good clip all day - and we were onsite for a good six to seven hours. 






Ground-level view of one of the open areas of water (there were three in this chalk exposure).






I've been coming out to the formations in Western Kansas for 30 years and I can't remember ever seeing everything so green and vibrant. It was a new experience for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope you like these pics too!

No comments:

Post a Comment